Monday, September 28, 2020

Week 4 or is it 5 of Pregnancy

 So after my appointment for a blood test my doctor called and said my hcg levels are 97.2. Normal levels at 14 days from conception is 3 - 426. Friday was 13 days from my IUI but fertilization can take place in a few hours or up to two days later. So it could be even less days from fertilization. So I am going back on Thursday the 24th for a second blood test to make sure the levels are going up.

On Sunday, week 3, day 6, I couldn't help myself and used a pregnancy strip again. I still have a bunch and I wanted to see if it was darker. Also I have been having some cramps that made me nervous, though I think it is just gas and constipation. So I took the test during the Cardinals game against Washington. I think at most it had been 3 hours since I went to the bathroom, but it was much darker than my test on Friday morning. Still not as dark as the control line, but it eased my mind.

On Monday, week 4, day 0, it was my Mom's birthday and my sister, brother and niece went over to celebrate. I was working from home and my sister only works on Tuesdays and Thursdays right now. So on Saturday, I bought a beer glass that said world's best grandpa and a wine glass that said world's best grandma. Which I brought over with my real gift for my Mom. Glasses

I arrived at 8 a.m. and started working. My mom was getting ready and my dad was at the gym. I was on me own until around 9ish when my mom and sister's option class started. My dad was babysitting Naomi.

So I continued working until around lunch time when my brother finally arrived with a big basket of goodies for my mom. I gave my mom her presents next. The real present was a tuft & needle pillow. I have one on my bed and my parents have the mattress. She liked the pillow, but can be picky so we'll see if she keeps it. Then I gave her the glasses. She opened the beer glass first and then the wine glass. She liked them both, but no one at the table figured out that I got them the gift to make an announcement.

My sister meanwhile gave Mom a necklace and an ornament for the car. She also got her a phone holder for the car but my brother got her that as well.

I meanwhile was trying to think of a good way to say I was pregnant since they didn't get it with the glasses. So as my sister was helping my mom put the necklace on. I pointed at the glasses and said, "I didn't get these just because of Naomi."

Immediately Caitlin and Mom looked up from what they were doing. Their eyes were so wide and their mouths were open in surprise. I have never seen someone's jaws drop in real life. I could tell that my dad didn't hear what I said, and my brother still didn't understand at that point.

After a few seconds Caitlin and my Mom alternating in saying, "What?" "Are you serious?" and me nodding along and finally my Mom said, "You're pregnant?!" 

It was only then that my brother and Dad figure out what was going on. 

Everyone was very happy to hear the news and excited. I know that it is a big change, especially since I am single, but they know I have been wanting this for a long time. Anyway after that I told them about the IUI and when I took the pregnancy test and etc.

I don't plan to tell anyone else until the normal time, around Thanksgiving, but I think it is ok to tell a core group earlier as long as you know that you might have to tell them about a miscarriage later. I know that they could read it on my blog, but I am pretty sure no one reads this blog.

On Monday night I added a pregnancy tracker to my phone and it says I am 4 weeks along, but my period app says I am 5 weeks. I guess the pregnancy app shows the completed week and the period app shows the current week. 

On Tuesday, I woke up with a kinda stuffy nose. That can be a symptom of pregnancy because the blood vessels in your nose get bigger. I have been social distancing and staying at home, so I probably don't have a cold. 

I actually took another pregnancy test, it's the last I swear, my sister asked for the others. It was as dark as the control line finally! It makes me feel better that it is progress. 

I was doing a little research, 75% of miscarriages happen in the first two weeks (which I already past). The third week of pregnancy since conception (or 5th from the last missed period) the risk of a loss is 21%, but since my levels are going up that is a good sign. After the 5th week, the risk is just 5%. I had a 25% chance of pregnancy this time, so I will feel much better once I get past this week. 

Since Wednesday, I woke up feeling less constipated and gassy, so I haven't had as many cramps which is nice since they are worrisome but that was my main symptom so now I don't feel pregnant. Sometimes when I lean over my breast will be tender but not every time. I have had some hints of nausea usually after taking the prenatal, but it usually goes away quickly and isn't strong so I still don't feel too different.

On Thursday, Week 4, day 4 I went to the doctors to retest my blood. I had an HCG of 1882. So much higher which is what they want to see. They also ran some other test and my thyroid was sluggish again. I know that is common in pregnancy and it can lead to miscarriage, but even if it doesn't result in a miscarriage there can be developmental delays. The growing embryo will take what it needs from the mother so the best case scenario is that the baby gets all the thyroid it needs but you will be deficient. I haven't noticed any symptoms like tiredness or weight gain, so hopefully it wasn't going on for too long. 

Since I am still going to the fertility center, they of course are looking our for risks of miscarriage like a low thyroid. Not every doctor will test for a low thyroid this happened to my sister, but she insisted they test her thyroid which was sluggish, so it was good that she advocated for herself.

I am not scheduled for an ultrasound in two weeks. I can't believe I have to wait another two weeks. It will be difficult to wait since I don't feel very pregnant yet. I might post an update next week if there is anything interesting to post, but I will probably wait and do an update in two weeks.

One other announcement, last Saturday my roommate told me that she is moving out. She is visiting her mom, but is going to come and get her stuff this Saturday. It will be nice to have the house to myself again, but I paid off a year's worth of my mortgage since she's been here. Plus it was nice having a friend around during quarantine. She is a child-free person so I figured she wouldn't stay around too long after I told her I was pregnant, she maybe suspected something is up because she noticed I haven't been drinking as much wine. She also saw my gonal-f shot in the fridge and she could easily google what that is used for. Also, she has been hinting at moving for a few months now. 

At least I can get her room and bathroom deep cleaned and ready for the nursery. I think I like themes like zoo animals/safari or space, but I'm not sure. I told my cousin to do penguin theme, but she choose woodland. However telling her to do penguin made me realize that you can just pick one animal like penguins or whales or even clouds or cactus to be the theme. So I might try to be simple like that too. 

I read that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends infants share a room, but not a bed with parents for at least six months, but ideally a year. Since I am single I don't see that as a problem. I have a big vanity in my room that I could move out and fit a crib. So maybe it is too early to plan a baby's room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pregnancy Week 25-29

On Wednesday 17th I had an appointment with the dermatologist. I had noticed some red spots in the last few months and I was due for a check...