Thursday, March 26, 2020

Monthly Challenges


My monthly challenges for the year started with intermittent fasting in January. The rules were that I could only eat between noon and 8 pm. I have done one-three day fasts in the past. I learned as a teenager that the zoo only feed the lions six days a week. I figured if a lion could fast I could as well. More recently I will not eat before noon on the weekends. 

So the month of January wasn't too difficult. I was allowed coffee as long as it was black so that was a life saver. Some days I would be ready to eat at noon but other days I would not be hungry until later. I didn't notice a change in energy or anything like that, but I didn't feel deprived either. 

I found not doing something was easier compared to doing something like the 10k steps challenge in February. I wasn't sure if my steps would count on the treadmill and I felt guilty walking but not walking my dog. So I opted for walking him instead of going to the gym. I usually got about 3,000 steps at work, and I would get 2 miles in or 5,000 steps with my dog. I got the additional 2,000 steps at home. I could get about 100 steps walking from one room to the next. 

Mid-way through the month Paloma, my roommate, and I went to a dive bar and line danced. I got enough steps for that Saturday and the next Sunday. So after that I would put on a line dancing youtube video to boot, scoot and boogie my final 2,000 steps. 

On the last Saturday in February I walked to the shopping center and grabbed pho. Paloma came to pick me up after and said I was like an old man with dementia wandering away from my home.

Mediation March is the current challenge. I was doing well with it, but I was sick last week skipped a few days, so I paid a dollar to the jar! The rules are that I must mediate 30 minutes a day or try to. I use youtube or a podcast to help.

I am a skeptic so I only use mediation for relaxation. It is the only claim that has evidence and that evidence does not compare mediation to other forms of relaxation. So an activity like listening to calm music or journaling may be just as good. I believe I am good at relaxing, but when I mediate I do notice that I feel like I do when I get a massage. So maybe I don't relax as well as I thought prior to March.

April is Keto diet challenge. I figured that only way to get through Keto is to plan ahead because if I have to figure out what I'm doing in April I will mess up. So two weekends ago I bulk prepared 8 freezer meals that feed 6 people so that should be enough for dinners. I am planning to fast in the morning until noon, so I will probably break the fast with hard boiled eggs and cheese squares or steamed veggies and avocado simple meals like that. I have no expectations for Keto. It is just a challenge to beat.

Future challenges include, No Internet, Walk Up at 5 am, No Coffee, Vegan, No Added Sugar, Mediterranean Diet, Stephen King's Writing Schedule and Bedtime at 8 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pregnancy Week 25-29

On Wednesday 17th I had an appointment with the dermatologist. I had noticed some red spots in the last few months and I was due for a check...