Monday, March 19, 2012

Friday Night - The Wedding






First, let me tell you about what happened before the wedding! It is normal for it to be very stressful when getting ready for a wedding. Let me tell you, after this, I probably won't be stressed out again, until my own wedding!

I took a shower first and then my mom. We were waiting for our hair to dry a little before we tried to style it. So I painted my toe nails, horribly! As I was plugging in the hair dryer, I noticed that the television went off. I asked my mom if she did it and she said nope that she thought I had. Then, it occurred to my mom. The power was out!! At first, we just sat there looking at each other. What a time for the power to go out! It better come on soon.

Before, I went downstairs to investigate, Caitlin yells from the bathroom. She asked us what we had done. The water was off too! She was in the middle of her shower and soapy! So, I went to investigate. Sure enough the rest of the B&B's power was out, but Luis our B&B manager, and by night star Peruvian drummer had stepped out for a bit. I knew the woman that cooked breakfast were around, I could hear them, but I didn't see them. I went upstairs after a while to let everyone know that the power was off in the entire place. After which my mom went to investigate. We found out later that it was a scheduled out for that part of the city for maintenance. A little warning next time!

Caitlin was still waiting in the shower. So I told her to use the water bottles by the sink in the bathroom. The water bottles were free, and at least she wouldn't be soapy. At first she resisted, hoping that the water would come back on. However, when my mom came up to tell us that the power wasn't on, but there was water in an empty room downstairs, Caitlin warmed up to the idea. I think she used a hand towel with the water from the bottles, because I used it later that night to wash my feet and it was still wet. I told her that it was her first sponge bath.

She came up with an idea while my mom was downstairs, in the other room. That we get dress and do all of our make up. Then we take what we absolutely need to do our hair to the venue and get ready there. It was a great idea. We would just go early! Although, it took a while to convince Mom to do so. We eventually left, with one straight iron, a blow dryer, mousse, hair spray, two brushes and a curling iron. I was really embarrassed because my hair was already starting to dry, and it was very ratty when I left the B&B. However, I think most of the people looking at me were wondering why I was dressed up so much so early in the afternoon (about 2).

We took a cab to the venue. There was no way that we could walk in our shoes because the streets are cobbled and it was more than a long walk. We'd basically walked there the day before when we went to the park and then to the Art Institute, so we knew it was too far in heels.

At the venue the bride was still getting ready, so the three of us used the bathrooms downstairs, the girls and the guys, to get ready. The guys bathroom didn't have a mirror, so Caitlin blew here her hair dry. My Mom used the mirror to finish her hair. She probably could have gone the night without styling her hair because it already looked good, but she has to be a mirror hog! I started my hair looking at what mirror I could. I eventually switched places with Caitlin and she with my mom. I used the towel dispenser as a mirror! She used the mirror to curl her hair.

At one point Briana had finished taking pictures of the groom's family and the bride's family wasn't ready. So she came and was able to help me with my hair. So in the end I didn't need a mirror. What an experience!

Anyway, after we were finished we brought all the hair gear up to where Rae was getting ready. They had opened a bottle of champagne which was great. I really needed a drink. So I had a half of a glass. Sadly, guest started to arrive early and Rae didn't want to be rude by taking family pictures with everyone waiting on them. So she said we could do them later, although it didn't happen in the end.

When she was finished we went back down to the main venue area. Rae had to go down a special set of staircases, but the rest of us took the normal way. There were so many people by that point. I think there were a few hundred there, and there were more coming in. The bar was already open, so Jim and I had a glass of white wine; Mom, Karen, and Caitlin had red. Then we mingled with everyone.

The great part was after the previous two nights we knew some of the people there! So we were able to talk to some people we knew and meet new people.

I also spent some of this time taking pictures of Briana, while she was taking pictures. I thought if she was taking the photos then there would be no photos of her! So I made it my mission to take pictures of her at the wedding. Because she was taking pictures I decided that taking pictures of her taking pictures would best reflect her experience.

After about twenty to forty minutes of mingling Karen let us know that the wedding planner wanted us to sit down--in hopes, that if the family took their seats that the ceremony would start. It didn't work at first (some of us even managed to get another class of red wine) but eventually it did. During the ceremony Karen, Jim and I took turns taking pictures with Carrie's camera. I was worried my hands were shaking too much at first. However, I think her camera takes better photos of people when they're moving than mine, because I got some great pictures in the end.

The ceremony was great. WILD Uncle Bill was tastefully funny and Rae was striking. The minister spoke in Spanish and English. This was good because many of the people there were from San Miguel and native Spanish speakers. It was also good for me to hear it in Spanish because I am trying to learn the language. I try to expose myself in many ways Although, I find it very difficult; I think sometimes the thought makes it even more difficult though!

The ceremony took place in on a sunlit platform inside of a pool. It was very cool. The flower girls, Williams' grandnieces, threw their flowers in the water! So pretty!

After the ceremony everyone went to this outdoor stadium thing. For a while everyone took turns getting delicious tacos, drinking and talking. I was in line for tacos three times, but I only ate four tacos, one time I was in line getting food for Carrie.

By that time Briana was able to relax more, so she had a glass of wine. Which, was the start of The Night that Caitlin and her Accomplices got Briana Drunk aka The Best Night Ever! Sometime between the tacos and before the puppets (More later) Karen found a drink that everyone liked. I thought it was like a Margarita. It was one part tequila, two parts fresca (sprite) and lime. I think by the end of the night the total was two for me, and about two dozen for Karen, Melissa, Caitlin and Briana. I only had two and then I switched to Victoria, a dark beer I like.

Right, so after most of the people were done eating tacos, although they stand was running all night, two giant fifteen foot puppets came on to this stage. One was in a wedding dress and the other in a tux. There was a person in each one, but they only controlled the legs. The rest of the puppets just moved on it's own. I have a few pictures of them because they are hard to explain.

I had never seen that at a wedding before, but Rae told me it was traditional. A good thing we noticed about them was that they kept people dancing on the dance floor! Now for an Emery dancing at a wedding is not a problem. If we are terrible at dancing, like I am, we will still dance! However, at many Emery weddings it doesn't take long to realize that we are sometimes the only people that like to dance. This was not the case for this wedding. Everyone was dancing.

Between dancing of course we were also talking with people and meeting new people. I meant one guy that was originally from Mexico, but is now from New York. He asked me where I was from and I said Arizona. He said, "Ew that's all desert not pretty." I didn't know what to say to that. At one point of the night he asked to take a picture of Caitlin and I because we were pretty. How encouraging!

Jim and Nigel exchanged email addresses because Katie's camera broke earlier in their trip while she was taking a picture of a photo call The Finale. They had were having trouble exchanging emails so I made Briana help her Dad. Mission Accomplished!

There was also a photo booth inside where people could put on different costumes and take pictures. We took around six. I made everyone do a picture where we were turned around and wearing glasses and masks over the back of our heads. I think Rae should use that one for the family wedding photo!

During the dancing people were able to give a toast to the bride and groom. For a while it was mostly William's family talking. They out numbered us. Besides we left our toast-giver in Phoenix! Eventually however, Melissa and Karen coerced Caitlin to give a speech. She didn't know what to say at first, but Darren helped her out by giving her some lines to string her along. I think that helped her organize her thoughts!

The speech turned out well. Caitlin made some jokes about William and his family. She then wished them happiness. She didn't let the speech linger when she couldn't think of something else to say which left no awkward pauses!

After the speeches, the was cake, chocolate covered strawberries and fireworks! Amazing!

Then we were told that Rae and Bill wanted us to get people to start heading to VCs. That was easy enough. We rounded up a few people. Then, I put Karen, Melissa, Briana and Jim in the first cab. Apparently, they had a very loud car right that included many lols, lmaos and rofls. Did you know that Melissa and Briana are the same person? Not twins, oh no. They are the same person.

Caitlin, Carrie and I took the second cab to VC. A very quiet peaceful ride. I think we were talking about how drunk the people in the first cab were. I paid for both cabs. Sadly, though I only had a 100 pesos a 20 and a 50. I gave Karen my 50. The taxis were 30 and our guy didn't have change. It was a hassle trying to explain to Karen that I needed my change back. What was even more of a hassle was that Jim was shaking these heart maracas in front of the cab driver's windshield like he was preforming a ceremony to rid the cab of spirits! Huzzah for wizard Jim!

Finally, the cab was paid and we went inside. Caitlin and I went to get shots of tequila. I didn't want one, but she convinced me to get six for the table which we split. 

While there we met Trent, who is originally from Las Vegas and is sort of a PR guy for the VC. He spent most of the night dancing with various women in the club. He danced with Caitlin, Briana and I at different times of the night. He did a salsa dance. I spent most of that dance thanking Jen Jones' brother for dancing with me during Desiree's birthday. If it wasn't for that night I wouldn't have a clue on what to do, but because of that night I was able to get through the dance with only messing up once or twice. I even managed to loosen up and get in to the two step part! Also, just so I never forget I did this salsa dance to the song YMCA! I think that's badass! Caitlin is a much better dancer than I am so I bet she picked up the steps quickly, if she didn't already know them. 

When the shots came, I ended up not taking mine. I just wasn't in the mood for tequila. I was having too much fun watching other people get drunk! Carrie, Karen, Caitlin and Briana all had the first shot. Caitlin taught them out to lick, shoot, and suck. This is why Caitlin's name is in the title of the night while the rest of us are only accomplices.

Then we danced more. Lots more. Briana couldn't stop dancing! Dancing all over the place. On the stage, with the band, on the dance floor with strange hippy like woman, I'm not sure they were part of the wedding group, with Lucas, Katie and anyone else that was willing to dance with her. I taught her the fireman, but she didn't dance like that! She mostly danced about waving her arms around. She was very good actually at dancing, but you could tell she was very silly. She also danced with her Dad which was very sweet. She is the better dancer! I also, was trying to keep an eye on Caitlin who was being very nice to Lucas. He wanted to dance with her all night, up close, so I had to intervene more than a few times. He must think I have terrible manners and do not take hints very well.

It wasn't long before I took my shoes off to dance. It was risky because people did step on you, and the floor sometimes had weird metal things, maybe for plugs or stuff, that I stepped on, but it was worth it. Besides once the shoes were off putting them back on was pointless. They were already dirty and why make my shoes dirty! I made Briana take her shoes off too because she started dancing and stumbling too much! She protested when I took them off but once they were off she was back dancing around.

During the night, William played his harmonica which was very good! Karen took a video, but the sound didn't come out as well as it was live. There were also more speeches, and Caitlin and Briana took their second shot. This time it was Briana that was egging Caitlin on! The grasshopper learns well!

I left a little early with Karen, Jim and Carrie. I was having fun, but I knew we had plans in the morning so I wanted to get to bed. I didn't feel like I missed much. I found out however that Briana caught the bouquet! Uh-oh! She is my younger cousin by six years and she said that she isn't getting married until she's twenty-nine. I hope that doesn't mean I will be over thirty-five when I'm married. Does it count if I wasn't there to try to catch the bouquet? After that she danced the rest of the night with the bouquet. In the morning, I heard many people say that they were sure that she hit a few people with it while she was dancing. How sweet of her!

I think that was it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pregnancy Week 25-29

On Wednesday 17th I had an appointment with the dermatologist. I had noticed some red spots in the last few months and I was due for a check...