Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Baby Names

I have found that there are people who have their baby names set in stone from the time they were little kids, and then there are people who don't have any idea even when they are in labor. At least for me and my sister we are part of the latter group. My niece was born in November and she didn't have a name until they had to leave the hospital. I have always thought that I wouldn't be able to name a child until I saw them. I am sure I will have names that I don't like and ones that I do, but I won't know for certain until I meet him or her.

I sent my sister names for every day for every letter of the alphabet starting with the boys because she thought she was having a boy at first. The name Naomi was one her husband liked the most and it was in a top contender for her. It was one that I had sent her. She liked it right away. I called her and said I almost didn't put it in because it was a name that I really liked. So for a little while she thought that name was off limits. But because I am not a person who has had names picked out since I was ten, I told her that I wasn't married to the name. She was pregnant first so she could use it. She held out for a long time, but I think she knew that would be the name. 

While helping my sister, I realized that the is a niche of people that will post a video about baby names they love when they are pregnant. There are even people that regularly post videos with baby names. A lot of people will say these are unique names that I love, only when I listen to the video the names aren't that unique, and because I don't know many children. I actually do not know if that name is suddenly becoming popular. There is one video channel that posts baby name list every Monday and her names can get unique especially if she has a theme. She will also have popular and rising names, so if you are trying to find a name, or you just like baby names I suggest listening to her.

As you may know I have been preparing to have a baby using IUI now that I am nearly 35. So have been thinking of baby names more often for myself as well. I try to note any I like from books, movies and netflix. The one thing I really want in a name is that it is as popular as mine. My name Bernadette is popular enough that when I introduce myself people usually have heard the name before, they will say I have a friend, acquaintance, grandma with that name, but it's not popular enough that I had to share the name with someone in my classes. The first time I ever met someone with my name I was zip-lining in Mexico and she was from Belgium. More recently, I also had a coworker with my name. It was the first time I had someone who shared my name in a setting that I was in every day. It wasn't a bad experience, and I know people with popular names are probably use to it, but I still would like a name that isn't popular. The tricky part is that a name that isn't popular in adults might actually be rising in children without my knowing. My solution for this is to ask my cousin who teaches first grade. I suppose she might not know what babies are being name, but she will certain be able to tell me if she thinks the name is not as unique as some list are saying.

To find out how popular my name is I looked here. You can search by name and from a certain year forward. My name doesn't come up on the top 1000 girl names for people born after 2000. I have to go back to 1993 before it breaks the 1000s. The most popular it has been in the 1900s was in 1946 it was number 188. When I was born it was number 673. So I decided that I want to find a baby name in the 600s in the last 10 years. The issue here is that a lot of times the names around this area are names that are the same or similar to popular names they just have different spellings. For example there is Noemi, Alivia and Emelia in the 600s. They are nice names, but they are too close variants of other names. I want to avoid names that are just different spellings.

Another source, I used was this smart baby name finder. You can put in your last name and it will generator names based on the last name and things like assonance and alliteration. It doesn't look like the website is working so I won't link it, but it is called smart baby name finder. That really helped me. I want to use either my parents or grandparents names as middle names, since a lot of surnames are first or middle names I also generated a list by pretending the middle name was a surname.

Ok so here are the names I liked. I won't number them because there isn't an order. I also might add to it later.
Ferris - I had a former coworker with this name. I wouldn't use it for a boy because of the movie, but she wore it well so now I see it as a girls name. It means From Ferrieres, France so it isn't the cutest meaning, but I still like it.

Parker - This name actually breaks my popular rule, and I was actually only considering it for last year because of the NASA orbiter that reached the Sun last year. I probably wouldn't use this name in the future because it doesn't have the same meaning to me. It means Park Keeper.But to me it means Science!

Cordelia - I found this name when I was looking up Irish names. My family has been in the US for over 100 years, but a lot of our lines come from the British islands, including Ireland. I DID watch Angel, so I have some reservations about that. I don't want people to think I named a kid after a television show, but I think it's been off the air long enough that I can get away with it. It's also from Shakespeare's King Lear. It means: Heart; daughter of the Sea. I think that is so beautiful. 

Petra - I think this is a really strong name. It sounds feminine, but it's not too girly. I did hear this name in Jane the Virgin and I did jot the name down from there. However, I wouldn't say I was naming a kid after the character. I watched the show, but I am not a devoted fan or anything. The name means Rock. I think that is a great meaning for a girl.

Meredith - So this name is one that I like, but I don't love it. I would consider using this name because it fits my criteria, but also because sometimes people tell me that I look like a Meredith. So I think a kid I would have would also look like a Meredith. The name means: Lord. I love that meaning for a girl today.

Drew - People have also told me that I both look and act like Drew Barrymore. I also agree with them. Whenever I go to change my hair color I look for pictures with her with that hair color. I might pick out clothes if I think she would wear it too. I like this name much better than Meredith. So, Andrew for a male is popular, Drew alone is in the range I like, but still falls into the category of a different variant of a popular name. However, because it's for a girl I would let it slide. Maybe that seems to contradict me, but a lot of people call me Bernie and Bernard is much more popular than Bernadette! The names means: Strong. Talk about a powerful name meaning.

Matilda - I really love this name. It is a beautiful, strong name and after the wife of William the Conqueror. I believe it has risen in popularity in the UK recently, but it hasn't caught on in the US. In 2018 it was #489. Normally because it is associated with a book and movie I would be put off, but it is such a nice name. The name means: Battle Strength. I see a warrior in the family.

Ephraim - I heard this name from a show called Everwood that I watched in High School. I think it is similar to Elijah and Eli which are popular today, but this name is more unique. The name means: Very Fruitful. This is a cute meaning, it could apply to love, wealth or life.

Oren - I love that this name is similar to Otis, Owen or Orion, but it doesn't have the popularity. I think it is a nice name. The name means: Pine or Laurel. Not the most exciting meaning but many people are naming kids after nature right now.

Montgomery - I know this name might be tainted thanks to the Simpsons, but it is also the first name of Scotty from Star Trek the original series. I think it is a very strong name for a boy. It is also similar to the trends like Archibald, Jasper and Healthcliff, but it hasn't been picked up. The name means: From the Hill of a Powerful Man. It's an a strong name meaning for a boy.

Harvey - I think Harvey is another name that is similar to Jasper, Sebastian or Theodore. I am a little worried it will get popular because of the new Sabrina show, but I don't see it rising too much in the last two years. The name means: Battle Warrior. This is a great meaning for a little boy.

Griffin- This name is a little too popular than I would like, but it is my great grandmother's maiden name. I love to have names that throwback to the family. I even considered the name Clark for a girl when my Aunt said she liked it. The name means: Strong Lord. With the popularity of Game of Thrones and Vikings I can see names from lords becoming popular.

Kip - This name is good for a child or an adult. It sounds like a name of an adventurer from the turn of the last century. The name means: From the Pointed Hill. That sounds like a traveler name.

Denver - I have to admit I like place names. I live in Phoenix and near by are Chandler and Gilbert which are all great boy names, and a street close to where I grew up was called Elliott. I love all of those names, but I don't believe I will ever move away and I think it's a little funny to name a baby after a city you are in or nearby. Denver is a place name I live because it sounds a little like Chandler. Also, it is where my grandma was born and my grandfather grew up there as well. Colorado was also the first state to enact woman's right to vote. Also who doesn't love John Denver! The name meanings is: Green Valley. If I can't name a baby after Gilbert Blythe this seems like a meaning that is close enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pregnancy Week 25-29

On Wednesday 17th I had an appointment with the dermatologist. I had noticed some red spots in the last few months and I was due for a check...