Saturday, November 19, 2016

The Journey Day 8 Edinburgh, Scotland

September 10th, 2016 Edinburgh, Scotland


Woke at 9am we went to a cafe for breakfast Olly Bongo's Cafe and Bistro for breakfast. I had a full English Breakfast and Kelsi had french toast. We both drank lattes. My opinion on the full breakfasts is that I like the English beans better than Irish and I also liked the Soda bread and potato cakes. I prefer Ranch style beans over baked beans so please keep that in mind, if you like sweet beans then you might prefer the Irish ones. 

English Breakfast
After Breakfast, I mailed some postcards, Kelsi got candy. At the Paradise Palms there were Tunnock's Carmel Waffers that she loved! So she was on a mission to find more of them. She didn't find any this time, but she did by the end of the day, and stocked up for the entire trip, she has to restock in London for on our return home.

Then we went to Edinburgh Castle. It was probably the most legit castle that we went to, it had kill holes. Which was the main criteria that we looked for when determining if a Castle was really real. While at the castle we tried some very delicious whiskey. We liked it so much we bought some for Caitlin and Dave as a gift. I think I should have bought more, I thought there would be more alcohol that I would want to bring home, so I only bought one bottle. 

Whiskey Tasting
The views of the city from the castle were awesome. We walked all around to get a look in all directions. At the castle they also have a museum of the military history and prisoner history. It was a lot to absorb! A real history buff might be able to spend all day at the castle alone! We made sure to look at everything, but by the end of each tour we didn't take as much time at each exhibit as we did at the beginning of the tour. It was so much to process.

From the Castle we went to the Whiskey Tour. There is a ride that quickly explains the whiskey making process. I remember the first step is the quality of the water, but then we moved on to the tasting part of the tour, so I'm not certain of the rest of the steps. Some of the steps I remember because I tried home brewing beer over the summer. I learned the lesson, don't brew beer in Arizona in the summer. In the Tasting Room we were given palettes to smell and from the scents and descriptions we were supposed to pick which region we wanted to try whiskey from. I picked the Highlands and Kelsi picked Spokane. The whiskey was pretty strong and I think perhaps I need to practice with lighter less smokey tasting whiskeys for a while longer yet.

The next part of the tour was to a huge collection of whiskey that had never been open. I looked at almost all of the bottles, and they all said Scotch! There were so many bottles and brands. Some of the whiskey will disappear from the bottles overtime, this is called the Angel's tax. Some bottles were more empty than others. Either the Angel's liked that whiskey more, or the sealing process was better in some than others.

Holyrood Palace
After the tour we went to the whiskey bar. Part of our package was tasting 4 of the 5 regions of Scotland Whiskey. So we had a flight of those. Now, I know I don't like the smokey ones! I may have ordered some more whiskey, except that there was too many choices, also we were getting hungry. So we walked down the Royla Mile and ate at The Royal McGregor. I had fish and chips. Kelsi had curry. She is getting more adventurous!

When lunch was over we went to Holyrood Palace. The place is still in use by the Queen when she visits Scotland, but there are no kill holes. This tour I picked up an audio guide, and summarized the guide for Kelsi. I think she enjoyed it because I was so good at relaying the information. People died in this room, this room is where people eat dinner, and etc. Just the fact from me!

Blue box 
Then we went to Franksteins it was a hoot! We ordered beers, Tennents, and sat on the second floor to watch people. People from the UK and Europe are just different enough that I know they are not Americans, but they aren't so different that I can't really pick out what makes them different. It is fascinating! I love watching people. After our drink we crossed the street to the restaurant Cellar Door. We kept walking by it, and it reminded me Tolkien every time we past it!

When you walk in you walk down the stairs to a cellar, only it's not really a cellar, because the building is kind of on a slope so there is a floor below that, which is also at street level and the door we went through is at the bridge level! I'm still pretty confused about the bridges and streets in Edinburgh even though we got better at navigating it!

Cider
The room does feel like a cellar so that was kind of fun. We both ate risotto dishes and Thistle Cross Ciders. Kelsi's was ginger and mine was strawberry. I took a picture of mine and sent it to Caitlin because she is my gluten free friend! 

After dinner we went to get drinks at Paradise Palms. We started with a tea pot, then Kelsi tried a gin fize, gin is pretty popular in Edinburgh, and I had another Tennents. This time at the Paradise Palms it was very busy with tons of people and awesome music. It was such a fun place it seemed to me that many of the people there were locals so it was great watching everyone! I loved it. We couldn't stay out too late because we had to get up early tomorrow for our tour of the Highlands and Loch Ness. When we got back to our room the music was just as loud as the night before, but it was a little easier to sleep. In the middle of the night, after the music stopped, one of the other guests ran out of their room to the bathroom because he was sick. Then he started sobbing! Getting sick is gross, but there was no need to cry about it the way he was. Kelsi and I could only laugh about it.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pregnancy Week 25-29

On Wednesday 17th I had an appointment with the dermatologist. I had noticed some red spots in the last few months and I was due for a check...