Monday, June 13, 2016

H.O.S.A. Hub of Social Activity

H.O.S.A. Post 

The last few posts, I have been trying to think of a way to incorporate some other events into my blog. Since the blog is about trips I wasn't sure if I should, but I really want to. I love creating posts and blogging events in my life, and those logs from relatives long ago. So I have been thinking about it for a while. I think I have it settled. I can write posts about events that are not trip related. I will call them HOSA posts. I have mention the Hosa before in Grandma's Cabin post. I didn't really explain what it is so I will do so.

It started many decades ago, in the early days of Grandma's Cabin. This may have been invented before Grandma's Cabin, but it's the first time in my memory. If it happened before the Cabin, it was probably at the original cabin,  named Zartacla and in Colorado, and reinvented at Grandma's Cabin.  Hosa is an acronym that stands for Hub of Social Activity. When I was younger I thought Hosa was a special way to describe the campfires that we would have a Grandma's Cabin, because this was the only time the word was used. This is despite the fact that I knew that Hosa meant Hub of Social Activity. In my defense at the time of creation of the word Hosa happened before I could read or write. So I couldn't really put together that the letter H in Hub was the first letter in Hosa and so on. 

Breaking Ground of Hosa - Picture by Megan 
I am not alone, many of us associate the Hosa with campfires even though we know the meaning of the word. As proof of this. My cousins decided to upgrade the Hosa pit over Memorial Day Weekend. Then posted online that they updated the Hosa pit complete with pictures. Which is proof the Hosa and campfire are interchangeable. Check out the pictures.

Upgraded Hosa. -- Picture by Megan
(People in picture, Carson and Karen)
However, Hosa also holds the original meaning, Hub of Social Activity. The family in Tucson have Sunday dinners together and use the word Hosa to coordinate them. I'm pretty sure of this, because when we are invited to Christmas, Thanksgiving and other holidays we coordinate using the Hosa extension as well. Therefore, it is acceptable to use Hosa for campfires and for other events outside of campfires.  

The Hosa is so big in the family that I even had t-shirts made one year for the Christmas gift exchange. I had my friend, Tracie help with design. The actual end result, I'm not sure was that great. I had never made t-shirts before, and I wasn't sure about the sizes or material. So I think I did a bad job about picking those, but I think the logo design is cute. I did an original sketch for it, but I haven't done art on the computer for a long time and I only did that for some classes. I really need to work on it. So Tracie helped me with that. I also came up with the catch phrase at the bottom of the design. HOSA -- Where All Things are Toasted. Which is much better than my attempt at humor on a t-shirt in March: So hungry I could eat a horse - Ancient Dothraki Proverb

So that is what the Hosa has been in the past. The Hosa posts will be more on the Hub of Social Activity side, because campfires over the internet isn't advised. Oops my dad joke's are showing! The posts will be about social activities I have in town. For people traveling around the Phoenix area, then this could be helpful for your trips, but for me they aren't actually trips. I will try to post one up later this week or next about what I did on my Birthday, and another about what I did last weekend. I think both activities are worth sharing, because I think other people should partake. Also, the main reason for this blog is so that I remember my trips, and I want to remember these activities. Therefore, I think Hosa posts can fit within B-dog's triplog realm. And it is decided.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pregnancy Week 25-29

On Wednesday 17th I had an appointment with the dermatologist. I had noticed some red spots in the last few months and I was due for a check...